Skin Care Tips
Mild skin irritation is a potential side effect of Quell use. We recommend the following tips to reduce the risk of skin irritation.
- Give your skin some time to air out by removing the device after 5 consecutive hours of wear. At this time, you may switch Quell to the other leg, or simply take it off altogether. After 5 consecutive hours of wear during the day, the device will pulse on and off for 1 minute as a reminder to switch legs.
- Wearing Quell in the same spot consistently can increase your risk of skin irritation. Alternating or switching legs can minimize that risk by limiting the exposure on the same patch of skin.
- Moisturize dry skin. Dry skin is more susceptible to irritation. Apply moisturizer to the leg 30-60 minutes before using Quell.
- Ensure that the strap is not being placed too tightly; this can cause the strap/electrode to create indents in the skin and lead to irritation.
If skin irritation develops, you should not place the device over the irritated area until it completely heals. You may apply a topical steroid cream to help accelerate healing and reduce irritation. You may also place the device on the other leg or use different locations as shown in APPENDIX D. If you experience skin irritation, then you should limit device use to 3-4 hours per day for a week to make sure that further irritation does not occur.
If you have sensitive skin, you may also consider the following:
- Limit the time the device is on your skin to 3-4 hours per day in the first week. If you do not experience irritation you may increase use while closely monitoring your skin.
- Check for signs of irritation,:
- Skin itches while device is on the skin or after removal
- Skin is red where it contacted electrode
- Raised or reddened hair follicles